A chakra is an energy wheel in the body, we have seven of these which go from the base of the spine to just above our head. It is so important to keep the energy within our chakras balanced, for this optimises emotional, physical, spiritual and mental health.
The Third Eye Chakra (also known as the Ajna) is located between the eyebrows, slightly above the bridge of the nose. It is the gate that leads to inner realms and spaces of higher consciousness it’s colour is a beautiful deep purple or blueish purple, reminding us almost of moonlight. This chakra is where intuition takes priority over ordinary logic and when it is open and balanced you can see clearly into the souls of other’s or into your own, equipping you with a knowingness that transcends the need to speak the truth.
To be living a life that feels abundant, flowing and free, intuition is something that we really need to rely on. I sometimes feel as though my intuition is blocked; as though I can’t figure out what it is that I want – even though I know this not to be true. This is when I know that something is ‘up’ with my third eye and it needs a little work. My most recent technique for balancing my Third Eye is the pranyama breathing exercise I’ve listed below!
When the Third Eye Chakra is balanced you’ll sense a strong feeling of guidance and trust. There will also be a feeling of detachment from material possessions.
When the Third Eye Chakra is out of balance often people find it hard to connect with their spiritual side and commonly people’s ability to learn, common sense and memory are all negatively affected. There also might be elements of fear; being afraid to trust the advice of others and possibly the fear of judgement.
I always find that when I learn more and more about each chakra, so much of what is behind them resonates wildly! Recently I have been finding it hard to learn and think straight, with also a fear that people might be judging me. I know this is natural sometimes and that fears of judgements are just thoughts so I am sending these away in my meditations!
If you experience headaches or any trouble sleeping then this is an indication that the third eye chakra might be out of balance and needs some attention.
When the third eye chakra is overdeveloped we might have a tendency to feel proud, dogmatic, manipulative and egotistical. There might be a sense of rejection for everyday life and the inability to have normal social relationships.
When the third eye chakra is weak or blocked you might experience headaches or trouble sleeping (nightmares), the inability to focus, chronic sinus problems, general fatigue and moments of feeling hypersensitive.
How to balance your Third Eye Chakra:
– Like all of the chakras, the most powerful way to balance them is via meditation. If you try this and you notice a tingling sensation or have a headache after meditation then see this as a sign that you’re opening up the blocked chakra.
– This is the amazing pranyama technique I mentioned above. Sometimes I do it just because I like the feeling of a loud but clam noise and vibration running through my head, it’s called ‘the bee’ – try it! Place your thumbs over your ears, your index fingers on your brows, your middle fingers over your closed eyes and your little fingers under your cheekbones. Then with your eyes shut, take a deep breath and when you exhale, exhale AUM – with a great emphasis on the M sound. If you do this for a minute or two, you will feel your tension subside naturally.
– Be outside in the sunshine.
– Begin to trust yourself – begin to ask for guidance and search for intuition by listening to the small (healthy) voice in your head.
Affirmations you should say:
“I am wise, intuitive and connected with my inner guide.”
“I am willing to trust my intuition.”
“I focus on what I love and it comes to me.”
Foods you should eat:
– Anti-oxidant rich foods such as berries and green tea.
– Omega-3 rich foods such as flaxseeds, nuts & oils.
– Indigo foods! Aubergine, plums, purple cabbage, purple kale, beetroot, grapes, blackberries.
Crystals that’ll help:
– Amethyst to balance and stimulate but also because it offers protection from harm.
– Purple Fluorite to eradicate negativity and promote intuition.
– Black Obsidian to aid emotional control.
– Moldavia to clear negativity and restore balance throughout the chakra system.